The Quality Hotel and Conference Venue, Parnell.
The Quality Hotel Parnell is open 24/7 so there is no issue about arrivals outside of normal business hours. The reception staff are always available to check you in, assist with luggage, or any other immediate needs.
The Quality Hotel provides free on and off site parking, with no booking required. The Conference Venue includes a Restaurant (Gladstones) and Coffee Shop/Café. Both are open 7 days.
Any alcohol consumed in the dining area or bar needs to be purchased from the venue. People staying in the Hotel over the conference period can consume alcohol purchased from other sources in that private space. See ‘Parnell and Environs’ for further information about Eating, Shopping, Entertainment and Buses.
Free Wifi is available throughout the Hotel and Conference Venue. For those staying at the Hotel, passwords will be available in your room. Passwords will be supplied in all conference venue rooms.
There are quiet spaces available, so conference attendees who are sensitive to noise will have choices re places to share meals, relax etc. Weather permitting there are outside tables set up if people wished to eat outdoors.
The venue spaces are air-conditioned, so may appear cool for some. It has been hot in Australia lately! Please bring appropriate layers of clothing so you are comfortable.
A duty manager is available at the Conference Venue from 7:00am to 11:00pm, as well as the Hotel Reception being staffed 24/7.
A conference phone will be held by one of the committee from the start of the Pre-conference workshops. In the meantime, you can contact Sue Christie on: +64 27 473 8899, or Selina Reid on: +64 27 447 7107.
In an emergency, go to the Quality Hotel reception or the Conference Venue Duty Manager. Auckland Hospital is 2.4 km away and for minor requirements Vanesa Valentine is holding the Conference First Aid kit.
Other facilities you might need are:
- Gladstone Pharmacy – 72 Gladstone Road: (09) 379 7000 Open until 6pm. (4 minute walk)
- Parnell Medical – 82B Gladstone Road: (09) 377 4427 Open Mon to Frid (After hours your call will be answered by a registered nurse).
Weather and Temperatures
- The maximum daytime temperature over January in Auckland is 23°C with a minimum of 15°C overnight. The weather and temperatures can vary, with a 40% chance of rain. The UV risk on a sunny day at midday is ‘extreme’, so bring sunscreen, sunhat, warmer layers and your brolly.
- The average sea temperature around the bay is 20°C (68°F), so bring your togs!
Transport Options to and from Auckland Airport
- Supershuttle: Book online or phone 0800 748 885 or 09 522 5100 $35 per person one way or $70 return.
- Skybus: Book online. Goes from the airport to central city ,then catch another bus to Gladstone Road, Parnell, (or an 8 minute taxi ride) $18 per person one way or $32 return.
- Auckland Transport Journey Planner
- Alert Taxis: (09) 309 2000
- Co-op Taxis: (09) 300 3000
Both Parnell and nearby Newmarket offer a variety of boutique shops, dining, entertainment, and more. It’s easy to get around, and many of the best places are conveniently close to the Quality Hotel Parnell, our Conference Venue.
The Quality Hotel is in walking distance of Parnell shops, Parnell Rose Gardens, a supermarket, liquor store, pools and gym. Auckland Art Gallery is 2.6 km away and the shops and restaurants of Queen Street are 3.2 km. There is a list below of a few of the places you can visit around Parnell and Newmarket.
City Bus Options
There is an Inner Link and an Outer Link bus around the city. The Inner Link is the easiest way to get around the inner city. Catch the bus from: Cnr Parnell Rd & Parnell Rise (9 minutes walk from the conference venue) or from the many stops along Parnell road. For more stops visit: http://www.heartofthecity.co.nz/.
The bus runs from the Britomart (Central Bus and Train Station), out to Parnell, through Newmarket, along K-Rd, Ponsonby Rd, past Victoria Park and then back to Britomart via SkyCity.
The buses are bright green and the service runs on such a frequent basis that timetables are not required. $2.50 maximum adult.
Mon to Fri: Every 10 mins from 6.30am to 8.00pm, every 15 mins from 8.00pm to 11.00pm Saturdays: Every 15 mins from 6.30am to 11.00pm.
Sundays & Public Holidays: Every 15 mins from 7.00am to 11.00pm
The Outer link is the easiest way to get around the inner suburbs. The buses are bright amber and operate on a frequent basis, so no timetable is required. There are 3 fare stages, you will only ever pay a maximum of two. For route visit: http://www.heartofthecity.co.nz/.
Supermarket, Liquor & Takeaways
- A 5 minute walk down Gladstone Road will find you a dairy, sushi, fish & chip takeaway and vege shop along with Gladstone Wines, where you can purchase beer, wine and spirits.
- The nearest supermarket is Huckleberry/Natural, Organic and Gluten Free Foods – 125 The Strand, Parnell: (09) 309 7755 Open 7 days until 8pm (3 minute drive or 8 minute walk)
Art and Culture
- Auckland War Memorial Museum – Auckland Domain, Parnell: 09-309 0443.
- Auckland Art Gallery – Corner Kitchener and Wellesley Street: 09-379 1349. Exhibitions include The Maori Portraits: Gottfried Lindauer’s New Zealand.
- For further events go to: http://www.events.nz.com/auckland/january-2017/.
- Eastside Gym for Women – 532 Parnell Road: (09) 379 2706 (3 minute drive, 15 minute walk)
- City Fitness (Open 24 hours) – 44 Nuffield Street, Newmarket: (09) 920 212 (6 minute drive)
- Parnell Outdoor Baths – 60 Metre salt water pools, Judges Bay Road, Parnell (3 minute drive)
- Olympic Indoor Pools – 77 Broadway, Newmarket: (09) 522 4414 (4 minute drive)
- Mission Bay, Tamaki Drive – also has a range of excellent cafés and restaurants.
- Cheltenham Beach, Devonport – catch the Devonport Ferry from the downtown terminal.
- Devonport Beach – Devonport also has a lovely shopping area with excellent cafes and restaurants and access to North Head Historic Reserve.
Wining and Dining
There are a lot of wonderful street cafes and bistros throughout Parnell and Newmarket. Here are a few restaurants hand-picked to highlight the various meals from around the world that you can find here.
- The authentic Italian dishes and fine wine pairings at Portofino will have you feeling like you’re dining in Italy. The friendly staff will help you pick out your perfect meal. Located at 156 Parnell Road in Parnell.
- Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant serves flavourful, authentic Thai cuisine in an upbeat atmosphere. Find them at 237 Parnell Road, Suite 4 in Parnell.
- For modern Japanese cuisine like warm miso soup, deluxe box lunches and fresh sashimi head to the hip restaurant Tatsumi at 73 Davis Crescent in Newmarket.
- For the brunch lover and a relaxed atmosphere there is the iconic Strawberry Alarm Clock at 119 Parnell Road.
- For a good cheap and cheerful Indian there is Shahi at 115 Parnell Road.
- For a stylish gourmet dining experience go to Woodpecker Hill where the flavours of the East embrace the culinary techniques of the West at 196 Parnell Road.
Newmarket is New Zealand’s fashion capitol where you can shop for name brand clothing alongside local, New Zealand brands you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
Parnell is also a top shopping destination with plenty of boutiques and art galleries. Many of the area’s top destinations are located on Parnell Road where you can walk around on a shopping tour all day long.
- Westfield Shopping Mall s located at 277 Broadway. They have many familiar brands where you can find apparel, shoes, and housewares.
- The Poi Room carries unique New Zealand art for sale. You’ll find ceramics, prints, sculptures and one-of-a-kind handmade jewellery from a variety of established and new local artists. They’re located at 17 Osborne Street.
- Looking for that original designer outfit you’ll find nowhere else? The Cupboard, located on 417 Parnell Road, has all you need in women’s fashion.
- Culinary artists and down home cooks alike love shopping at Milly’s Kitchen located at 165 The Strand in Parnell. They also offer a variety of fun cooking classes.
- Victoria Park Market, downtown is also worth a look.
Dance the Night Away
In the evenings the cafes close and the bars open offering good drinks, dancing, and fun. Take in a show at Vector Arena or enjoy music in smaller venue.
- Windsor Castle has been entertaining the people of Parnell since 1847. They serve craft beers, wines from around the world, and uplifting spirits. Dance to live music like jazz and acoustic rock or enjoy the local talent at the open mic night. It’s all happening at 144 Parnell Road at the corner of Windsor Street.
- The Claddagh Irish Pub located at 372 Broadway in the heart of Newmarket is a popular traditional Irish tavern with great music, hearty food, and friendly people. It’s the place to go for a pint of Guinness.
Entertainment is easy to come by in Parnell and Newmarket and the Central CIty. There are many entertainment spots are where you can play games, watch movies, and learn more about the residents of New Zealand during your stay.
- Lilliput Mini Golf is the original mini golf company in Auckland. They have four different locations throughout the city including 3 Tamaki Drive, Parnell.
- Tenpin Bowling is available in Newmarket at 6/2 York Street. They have arcade games and a pool table available.
- Movies at Rialto Cinemas in Newmarket. They have 20 big screens where you can watch the latest films.
- Sky City, Auckland is a casino and event centre in the Central Business District, between Victoria and Federal Streets: 09-363 6000.
For further events go to: http://www.events.nz.com/auckland/january-2017/